Living in Nottingham

View all

Question (about Living in Nottingham)

Finding an appartment...


I'm thinking about the possibility of living at Nottingham and I wonder how difficult and expensive, might be to find a small apartment for two people.

Also, I would like to have an idea of how much does it cost to live there (approximately) and which is considered a medium wage.

Thanks in advance,

2 Answer

  • honky honky | United Kingdom | Subject Experience (show)
    well done for moving to the best place in the world! a small apartment can cost anything from £70-£1500 depending on how much you want to spend. My mum and dad do up places and rent them out so i have a good idea. if you want a nice new appartment like a riverside one or lace market in the middle of Notts then it could cost around £650 per month but if you dont want to be paying much then my sister rents out a place for only £100 per month as she is a student but these sort of places are ruff and she has had her bike stolen twice! On the out edge of Nottingham you can rent out a nice house for only about £300 and Notts does have good puplic transport. appartment or phone 01158411155), (letting agent),,,,,,
    There is a property guide mag your can get from agents in Notts and from the newspaper on a monday (evening Post).
    • sdonatti sdonatti
      Thanks a lot. Yor response has been brilliant. :-)
      13 Mar 2005
    • honky honky
      thats ok hope everything goes well.
      20 Mar 2005
    • sdonatti sdonatti
      Hello Honky,

      I have another question for you regarding the "visa" allowances that my girlfriend (which does not have UK citizenship) can receive if she is living with me at Nottingham.

      For example at Holland she can be a legal citizen under your responsibility.

      Do you know if the same criterion is used at the UK?
      Where do you think I might refer to find more information on the subject?

      Thousands of thanks.
      13 Mar 2005
    • honky honky
      im not sure my self but i found some a website which might help
      hope everything goes well
      19 Mar 2005
    • sdonatti sdonatti
      Thanks a lot for your response.

      I wonder how well two people can live at Nottingham with a wage around 1700 euros/month (Including living expenses, rent, etc).

      Regarding the visas I have been talking with the British embassy and there are so called "unmarried partners" which might allow my girlfriend to stay in the UK for two years (with renewal possibilities). However, I’m still not sure if my working visa will allow me to access to that. Please, let me know if you have further knowledge on the subject.

      Thank again,
      21 Mar 2005
    • honky honky
      i think that 1700 euros is still alot of more about £1180 this is about £14160. This is plenty as my friend lives on about £8000 prefectly fine. i surpose if you were to spend around £500 a month on propety this would get you a very nice flat in nottingham or a very very nice house on the edge of nottingham.per month food would be around £120 for 2 people, bills around £100 end then things like going out about £100. Useful Sites
      Rental property search
      Citizens Advice – Council Tax

      Information on your area
      Student Accommodation

      Letting agents usually charge a fee from between £25 and £150 for their services i.e. the general administration involved in finding the property, taking up references and returning the deposit at the end of the tenancy. Often they also require a holding deposit of £50 to £200, which usually goes to the first month’s rent, unless you pull out in which case you lose it all together.
      For further information contact the following agencies:

      Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA)
      Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)

      National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA)
      If you are in any doubt about the tenancy agreement, consult a Citizens Advice Bureau, Housing Advice Centre or a solicitor.
      Always a tricky subject. Deposits are usually about four to six week’s rent, required to be paid in advance of moving into a property. It covers any damage you may inflict on the property or non-payment of rent. What is considered as damage on a property can often become a shady area. Twenty percent of tenants say they have suffered from landlords withholding their deposit with no valid reason.

      To bring light into this often problematic part of renting and to avoid any future problems in claiming back your deposit, the first essential step is to agree on an accurate inventory. If the landlord hasn’t prepared one draw one up yourself and get them to sign it. It should include a list of all the furniture and other items that belong to the property and their conditions. This way you can be sure if you’re responsible for the red wine stain on the cream carpet found under a strategically placed sofa.
      At the end of your tenancy after an inventory check and condition inspection, if there are no missing items or damage, your money should be returned in full after you leave the property. You cannot set your deposit against the last rent payment due.

      Until now there have been no official schemes to support tenants who have had their deposits unfairly withheld. If a landlord persists in refusing to return a deposit, the main option has been to use the small claims procedure in the county court to try and get it back.

      However more help may soon be at hand. The Government recently announced a plan to safeguard deposits. “It is the right of the tenant to have their deposit safeguarded and it is the responsibility of Government to ensure they do. Therefore new provisions in the Housing Bill will require that tenancy deposits be protected in the future." (Housing Minister, Keith Hill). An important step towards decreasing the tens of thousands of private tenants being cheated out of millions of pounds.

      Find your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau:
      Citizens Advice Guide
      Gas and Electricity
      It is your Landlord’s responsibility to ensure that any gas and electrical fittings and appliances are safe. By law they must have their gas appliances checked by CORGI every 12 months. They must keep a record of inspection dates, any defects identified and any remedial action taken. You must be given a copy of this record.

      If your landlord does not carry out regular inspections of gas appliances or if they refuse to give you a copy of the inspection record, you could contact the local office of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which has a duty to enforce the safety requirements.

      The HSE also operates a special freephone Gas Safety Advice Line:-

      0800 300363 (24 hours)

      There is no legal requirement for landlords to install carbon monoxide detectors, however it is worth asking. If your landlord does not provide one, you can by them relatively cheaply from hardware stores.


      Fire Safety
      Firstly all furniture provided by your landlord must be fire resistant. If the furniture your landlord provides is not fire resistant your local council trading standards department can take action.

      Also, the building regulations require that all properties built after June 1992 must have a mains operated inter-connected smoke alarm fitted on every level of the property. Older properties do not have to comply to this, however most landlords are willing to provide at least battery operated smoke alarm. Again, if they are not you should invest in one. It's cheap, easy to get hold of and easy to fit. There's no excuse for not having one. It should be tested monthly with batteries replaced once a year Safety Checklist (courtesy of Shelter There are things that you can do to minimise risks to you in your home, such as:
      report and faulty equipment or problems to your landlord immediately
      make sure that smoke alarms are fitted and in working order
      use carbon monoxide detectors
      plan what to do in case of fire and be aware of all escape routes
      make sure that exit routes are clear
      keep electrical and gas appliances in good condition
      ask your landlord to give you a copy of the gas safety certificate
      if you suspect there is a gas leak, contact the gas supplier immediately.
      Fire Safety
      Fire Safety

      The landlord will usually be responsible for insuring the property and the items that do not belong to you, however your own possessions will not be covered. It is advisable to buy insurance for your belongings.

      It is worth finding an insurance broker who has a specialist policy for people who rent.
      The Landlord’s right of entry
      Once you’ve settled into your new abode it’s important to feel relaxed and comfortable without having someone barge in without notice.

      Your landlord has a right to reasonable access to carry out repairs. What ‘reasonable access’ means depends on the reason why they need to get access. For example your landlord is entitled to immediate access to carry out any necessary work in an emergency.

      Under any other circumstances they should always ask for your permission and should give you at least 24 hours notice, unless they have a court order.

      If you are having problems with unexpected visits from a landlord contact your nearest Citizens Advice Centre

      (this information i didn't do by the way i copied it for you off a file on my computer)
      hope all goes well
      21 Mar 2005
  • Rob & Jackie Rob & Jackie | United Kingdom, The Midlands | Subject Experience (show)

Welcome to Maxperience!

Sign Up Today
  • Practical answers
  • Useful stories
  • Global inspiration

Build a cool image grid profile of things you own or have experienced.